Sunday, April 6, 2008

Yes - People Change

Two weeks ago I sold my xbox. After 50+ days without playing, it had become exceedingly obvious that my life was better without gamin’. I haven’t transformed into an instant superior version of myself, but my life is slowly heading in a new, and I think better, direction. I’m discovering new interests, new goals, and most importantly new found confidence in myself. So I am happy to report that after going 65 days without gamin’, I no longer feel the urge to play…at least not everyday. I do occasionally feel the “pull” when I see a commerical on tv, or when I pass the video game section in a store. But then, I’ve been playing video games for over two decades, so it’s probably gonna take more than two months to lick this thing.

This is the latest entry from the blog Death by 360 - One Man's Struggle with Game Addiction. http://deathby360.wordpress.com/ (linked by permission)

In a series of 18 brief posts that begin in January 2008, he shares exactly what it's like to come to the awareness that something is wrong with his life due to excessive gaming, and explains exactly why and how he decides to make changes.

It's honest, intelligent, and beautifully written. Reading it will help other people far more than anything I can say.

I find it frustrating when people ask me "What's the treatment for video game addiction?" as if it's something I can explain in three sentences or less. I can't even explain what game addiction is in three sentences or less, as there continues to be so much controversy over whether or not it exists. There is no simple screening device that can let us know precisely what's going on in any person's head. We have to spend a bit of time sorting out patterns of behavior, thought, and emotions to get a true sense of what someone is experiencing and in what way it may relate to their gaming habits.

It's terrific when people self-monitor and figure this out for themselves. It's absolutely wonderful when they find solutions for themselves that work to solve the problem. Sometimes the journey begins by hearing someone else's story and having a little encouragement along the way from friends.

So what's the treatment for game addiction? If you read this blog you'll get a very good idea. And in this case, it had nothing to do with shrinks.

No comments: